Monday, August 15, 2011

Elephants and Meerkats

Every night, a line is drawn.  Not a metaphorical line, an actual line that divides our bed straight down the middle. Now, we're not prudes dating back to the days of "I Love Lucy" {oh, how I LOVE Lucy!}, but when it's time to sleep, we both like our space! Every once in a while {eh-hum....nearly every night}, one of us crosses the line and that starts a war that is usually only resolved by an intense game of footsies {i.e. kicking}.
Last night, when husband crossed the line, the usual "Eh-hum....you crossed the line" conversation got started. And after much practical debate, Matt looked over at my side and said, "Look how much room you have over on your side! Scoot over!"
"I can't help that I take up less of my half than you do of yours," I respond. He then looked at me with his big blue eyes and said, "Babe, in the zoo elephants get more space than meerkats!"
We both die laughing and leave the debate to be resolved another night.


This week dates a year that Matt and I have been married! I can't even believe it!! Marriage has been one of the greatest gifts God has ever given us! Matt challenges me in a way that no one else ever could and has been the greatest example of God's love and grace in my life. So this week, I'll be posting some of my favorite memories that Matt and I have had in our first year! :)

Thinking back to our first fight, I have no idea what it was about, but I just remember I was scrubbing the floor  at our house and I was so mad at him! The more I scrubbed, the more I cried and just wanted to hop on a plane and go home to Utah.  I had never been so mad at a person! But I also remember resolving that fight....Matt forcing me to talk to him and tell me every little thing that I was thinking...the good, the bad and the ugly {and believe me, there was plenty of ugly!}....then, he did the most amazing thing.  He gave me a huge hug and told me he loved me! He didn't run away as I wanted to, he stuck it out and we worked it out. That's when I knew, it didn't matter what we went through in our lives, we could get through it if we worked together and ran to each other instead of away from the problem. I knew God had brought us together for a special purpose! And now, a year later, whether it be fighting over our half of the bed or something much bigger than that, I know that as much as I dread the fighting, I love the resolving!! We always end up stronger, better and more in love than before. There's no one else's meerkat I'd rather be! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Marcie!!! You're such a talented writer! Loved this post! :) Miss your beautiful face. :) -Lace

Countrylivn' said...

Oh how funny! I love it! Congrats on your first year with many more good ones to come!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...