Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Fat Tuesday Potato Soup

So I realize Fat Tuesday was last week, but I came up with this recipe on Fat Tuesday, so I figured I can still call it that! And usually I only like to post healthy recipes on here, but every once and a while we all need a bit of Southern comfort, which is exactly what this soup provides! Here we go:

Fat Tuesday Potato Soup

You'll need:
3/4 pound of bacon, diced
1 small onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 lbs potatoes (about 8-10 medium potatoes), cubed
2 cans reduced sodium chicken broth 
2 cans cream of cheddar soup
1 1/2 cups water (approx.)
1 pint whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
  1. In a large soup pan, cook bacon thoroughly. Add onion and garlic and cook until onions are translucent. Add about 1/4 can chicken broth, cubed potatoes and cook all together for about 3 minutes or until flavors have blended.
  2. Cover mixture with remaining chicken broth (2 cans was approximate), 1 can cream of cheddar soup and water as needed (I usually fill up the can with water to ensure I get out all the soup). Stir until cheddar soup is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cover. Cook until potatoes are fork tender.
  3. Once potatoes are tender, reduce heat to low. I chose to mash up my potatoes in the pan to create smaller pieces and a thicker soup. This step is optional. Add remaining can of cream of cheddar and whipping cream. Stir until cheddar soup is dissolved. Salt and pepper to taste. 
This recipe makes about 8-10 servings. If you're a cheese nut like my husband, you can serve it topped with cheddar cheese, chives or some additional bacon! And I don't like to brag {ok, but maybe I do}, but this soup was quoted by my husband to be, "the best potato soup that he's ever had!" I already know what you're thinking, "he's your husband, he has to say that". But contrary to popular belief, I do believe this is one of the first things I've made that he's ever stamped with that approval! The only other thing that he has raved about like that has been these rolls {which would also taste delicious with this soup!}. Let me know what you think!

Happy {not fat} Tuesday!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...